Join our working holiday program and make a lasting impact
Want to experience traditional Spanish living while making a positive difference in the daily lives of abused and neglected horses, ponies and donkeys?
Our working holiday program is designed to be a relaxed and fun way to enjoy sunny Spanish life while helping an excellent cause in a hands-on manner, creating a lasting impact on your own life as well as the animals that need your help.
You'll be one of a maximum six people selected to come and live at our rescue centre for anywhere from one week to two months – you decide how long you'll stay, depending on how much time you have to spare.
While here, working hours are capped at five hours a day to allow you plenty of time to unwind from your usual daily life, and you’ll also have two full days off each week to explore the local area. (Download this PDF for full information on attractions and events in Rojales.)
As an Easy Horse Care Rescue Centre working holidayer, you can go deeper than being a tourist and actually help animal welfare development efforts in a significant way.
Gain hands-on equine experience in a relaxed environment
During working hours, you will be directly involved in the day-to-day running of our centre.
You might lend an extra hand:
- Grooming our horses (which is possibly the most peaceful way to while away a morning).
- Feeding our equines.
- Mucking out stables and fields.
- Helping with various construction projects across the centre.
You’ll likely also gain an understanding of:
- Basic horse care and handling of animals that have survived abuse and neglect.
- Basic veterinary care, including daily health checks and administering medications, ointments and prescribed veterinary treatments.
- Horse herd dynamics and friendships.
- Animal welfare laws in Spain.
While our horses are not available for riding during the program, you can expect to work closely with our equines, getting to know their incredible survival stories while falling in love with their individual personalities and quirks.
Equine experience is not essential and speaking Spanish isn't compulsory, as we mainly communicate in English.
What we provide you with:
During your stay, we provide you with rustic accommodation here at our traditional Spanish finca (farm), where our more than 100 horses, ponies and donkeys are homed, located just outside the southeastern Spanish town of Rojales.
You will stay in one of our two shared dormitories (please note that the dorms do not have air conditioning but do have several fans and a window). You'll have access to a shared bathroom, a fully equipped kitchenette, a lovely outdoor patio next to a small fishpond and garden, a gymnasium and the loan of a bicycle. Wi-Fi is also available.
Our working holiday program costs €150 per week, or €550 for a complete month.
Your fee acts as a much-needed donation, ensuring we can continue to grow and upgrade our facilities to improve the service to our equine residents as their needs increase.
Your program cost includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay at our rescue centre.
- Some on-ground transportation in Spain, such as weekly grocery shopping trips.
- Orientation upon your arrival.
- Basic horse handling training.
- Project fees such as project materials and administration.
Your program cost does not include:
- Food (you will have access to clean drinking water and a kitchenette to cook).
- Air transportation and any country departure taxes (where applicable).
- All transportation and accommodation costs to and from your designated departure city.
- Medical and travel/trip cancellation insurance (required).
- Passports and travel visas (where necessary), and any vaccinations (if required by your physician).
- Additional optional activities during your stay.
When can you start?
Our internships operate on a rolling basis. In your application form, please let us know your preferred dates and, if you are accepted, we will work to accommodate you. Please note the minimum stay is one week and the maximum stay is two months.
More information and how to apply:
We have created a detailed information pack for applicants, including full details of our facility and accommodation, what items to bring with you and a list of frequently asked questions.
Ready to apply? Simply fill out our online application form to register your interest. We will contact you after reviewing your answers.
Please note that, upon acceptance, you will be required to pay your program fee in full to secure your stay (charged at €150 per week of stay).
Your booking will not be officially reserved until we receive your full payment. We operate on a first-in basis and can only accommodate six people at a time, so if we receive payment from another applicant first, they will get the reservation. (We will inform you if this happens). We therefore recommend making your payment as swiftly as possible to ensure you don’t miss out.
If you haven't heard from us within about a week of applying, please check your junk mail folder – very often our replies end up there!
Thank you so much for considering a working holiday with us!